The two main questions that trouble candidates looking forward to make a career in business analytics are, firstly, what is the future of this niche in Indian context and secondly which college/ institutions offers the best opportunities to explore the world of business analytics and intelligence in India. Given the fact that even after post graduation, employment isn’t more than stagnant, it is obvious for students to turn to a more rewarding degree program. A program that gives a good return-on-investment in terms of a sure shot successful career is most sought after. Colleges today are trying to customize their courses in order to meet the employment opportunities in the corporate world. This is where business analytics comes in picture. Investigating and analyzing performance of business in past in order to draw conclusions which will help that particular business gain mileage and grow profits in future is business analytics.
Career Scope & Forthcoming Opportunities - Business Analytics in India
In recent times, there has been a sudden rise in demand of business analytics. The prime reason behind this surge is the data driven and techno focused approaches that majority of organizations have willingly embraced. But, for how long is this scenario going to stay beneficial. Will it still be advantageous for a student graduating five or ten years from now? Future of a business or career is solely depended on market demand as well as its own versatility. Let’s understand the requirements in context of BA.
A deficit of professional business Analytics:
The major reason for growth of business analytics and intelligence is the fact that since the whole concept of analytics revolves around data, it is very challenging to successfully complete the course. Hence, there is a scarcity of expert analysts.
According to Forbes (2015):
There was a 123.60% jump in demand for Information Technology Project Managers with big data expertise, and an 89.8% increase for Computer Systems Analysts. Does this ring a bell? It’s going higher by every single passing day, now is the time to grab every opportunity you have to become an analyst.
Higher salaries - An increase in demand of professionals in certain area is directly proportionate to the rise in compensation in that sector. So, if you’re the one looking to divert the flow of money towards you, this is the time to be in analytics.
The Harvard Business Review (October 2012):
Quoted something very interesting - job of a data scientist is the sexiest job of 21st century. Now, who wouldn’t want to be one?
The McKinsey Global Institute report(May 2011):
“By 2018, the United States alone could face a shortage of 140,000 to 190,000 people with deep analytical skills as well as 1.5 million managers and analysts with the know-how to use the analysis of big data to make effective decisions.”
So basically, analytics is an ever-growing branch of study. Huge database is available in virtual form which has created a need for more effective and accurate data based decision makers, which surely points a finger towards exponential growth in demand of business analysts.
Business analytics courses in india and who should opt for it?
If you’re a person who is passionate about numbers and data, analytics is the career for you. It is a challenging task which requires high degree of conscious efforts and smart work in order to put things in perspective. This data finally aids the process of decision making that encourages growth of companies and organizations. An ideal candidate is expected to be a statistics degree holder and/or a mathematics degree holder. Post graduation or a master’s degree is sure to add value to it.
What to Expect
An integrated master’s level program curriculum, consisting of business data analysis and business intelligence - is quite popular since there are no effective full time programs in place for business analytics.
Top Institutes and Available Business Analytics Courses in India
Some of the institutes, which have either integrated business analytics in their regular course or are providing certificate courses, are:
1. MISB Bocconi, Mumbai
The MISB Bocconi is a privately managed educational institution located in Mumbai offering two types of business analytics courses, namely:
International business courses with business analytics in curriculum:
- The International Executive Master in Business (IEMB)
- The International Master in Business (IMB)
Separate Business Analytics Course:
- Executive Program In Business Analytics (EPBA)
Similar to other management schools, MISB also begins the admission process through various rounds in which the first round is an aptitude test. The main exams that are considered for the second round of selections are CAT, CMAT, NMAT and GMAT.
2. SP Jain School of Global Management, Mumbai
The SP Jain School of Global Management located in Mumbai offers a total of 14 courses in various streams such as banking, humanities, IT, etc. The following are some of the courses offered:
- Bachelors in Data Science
- Professional Program in Big Data & Visual Analytics
3. Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur
Being one of the famous and prestigious institutions of India, IIT Kharagpur offers a wide range of courses for Bachelor's, Master's and PhD. This institute provides a total of 146 courses out of which the ones in business analytics are:
- Post Graduate Diploma in Business Analytics (PGDBA)
4. NarseeMonjee School of Management (NMIMS), Bangalore
NarseeMonjee School of Management situated in Bangalore is a rising institution that has been working hard for 7 years to provide the best education for students who try to pursue Master’s in Management studies in specializations like:
- Certificate program in Business Analytics
5. Aegis School of Data Science, Mumbai
The Aegis School of Data Science is an educational institution located in Mumbai that offers programs in DATA Science, Business Analytics, Big DATA, Cyber Security and Telecommunications. The school provides a total of 10 courses out of which few are listed below:
- Post Graduate Program in Data Science, Business Analytics and Big Data in association with IBM – Full-time course for 11 months.
- Executive Post Graduate Program in Data Science, Business Analytics and Big Data in association with IBM – Part time for 11 months.
6. IIM Ahmedabad
The Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad (IIMA) is the NO.1 institution in India for offering the best management studies. It provides a total of 5 courses specializing in different streams. Here are some of the courses provided by IIMA for business analytics
- Executive Program in Advanced Business Analytics (Available at Hughes Global Education)
- Big Data Analytics [Open Program]
7. IIM Kozhikode
The IIM-K is an autonomous business school that is located in Calicut, Kerala was the 5th IIM to be established and was setup in the year 1996. The institute offers a total of 9 courses in streams like Business and Management Studies and IT and Software.
Here, the most demanded course is the Post Graduate Programme in Management, a full-time course for 2 years. It also offers the following Business Analytics courses:
- Executive Post Graduate Certificate in Information Technology Management and Analytics (EPGCITMA)
- Business Intelligence and Analytics
8. NIT Trichy
The National Institute of Technology located in Trichy offers a wide range of course in various streams like Engineering, Science, IT and Software, Architecture and Planning and Business and Management Studies. It provides a total of 49 courses. Ones with Business Analytics are:
- M.Tech in Data Analytics
9. Great Lakes Institute of Management, Chennai
The Great Lakes Institute of Management in Chennai is an Indian private business school founded in the year 2004. It is among the top business schools in India that offers a total of 14 courses which include:
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management – Full-time course for 2 years
- Business Analytics certification program
10. NarseeMonjee Institute of Management, Mumbai
The NarseeMonjee Institute of Management which is located in Mumbai offers a total of 18 courses in streams like Banking, Finance and Insurance, Business & Management Studies, IT & Software and Law. Business analytics courses include:
- Post-Graduation Certificate Program in Business Analytics
11. Shailesh J Mehta School of Management at the Indian Institute of Technology Mumbai
According to the NIRF 2018 results, Shailesh J Mehta School of Management at IIT-B is ranked in the 5th place for best MBA School. It offers a total of 4 courses namely:
- ACPBA Advance Certificate Course on Business Analytics
- Master of Management – Full-time course for 2 years
- Executive MBA – Full-time course for 18 months
- Executive Program in Management – Part-time course for 1 year
- Ph.D – Full-time course for 4 years
12. IIM Calcutta
The Indian Institute of Management Calcutta (IIMC) located in Joka, Kolkata is the first founded IIM which is a public business school that is ranked as the 3rd best B school in India by the NIRF’18. It offers a total of 2 top courses that include Business Analytics courses of:
- Executive Program on Business Analytics (*Available at Hughes Global Education)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Business Analytics (PGDBA)
The International School of Engineering was founded in the year 2010 which is an applied engineering school and is currently located in 2 cities namely Hyderabad and Bangalore. Hyderabad is the headquarters of INSOFE. The Business Analytics courses it offers include.
- PGP in Business Analytics and Optimization
- Big Data Analysis and Hadoop Certification
- Post Graduate Certificate for Hadoop Developer (*Available at Hughes Global Education)
- Post Graduate Certificate for Hadoop Administrator (*Available at Hughes Global Education)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Artificial Intelligence (*Available at Hughes Global Education)